On 25th April 2015 a massive earthquake of 7.8 hit Barpak, Nepal, this was followed by many big aftershocks and further earthquakes on 26th April and7.2 on 12th May.
According to the relief web link: http://reliefweb.int/report/nepal/nepal-earthquake-2015-situation-report-no20-3-june-2015. In brief 2.8 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance, 864,000 people in hard to reach areas need immediate assistance and today to date there has been 8,702 deaths reported.
Immediately after the first earthquake our team started to make enquiries from friends and who were on the ground in some of the most heavily affected earthquake districts. In addition, a team was sent to conduct a field assessment in the Dhading district with some relief materials which included tarps, blankets, food, clothes, mattresses and medicine.
It became clear that shelter was the number one need of the people with many villages having dangerously damaged or destroyed homes.
Based on this assessment and our communication with friends on the ground with relief work and local governments, we decided to focus our attention to providing tin roofs, nail pullers, hammers, shovels, and classroom and sports materials for the children attending public schools (who are studying under temporary learning shelters made out of tarps and bamboos).
Our relief work has been carried out in some of the major earthquake affected districts, namely Gorkha, Dhading, Kavrepalanchowk, Sindupalanchowk, Dolokha and Ramechhap. Although Kaski district (our local area) is not one of the most affected districts, from our visit to the Kaski District Education Board office, we were informed that 101 government schools in the Kaski districts are partially and or fully damaged.
With your financial support we were able to reach approximately 5000 individuals in these six districts.
- In Gorkha district, our team delivered 40 nail pullers, 25 hammers and 25 shovels via the Karma Flights team.
- In Dhading, we delivered 103 households (reaching approximately 515 locals) with tin roofs and nail pullers.
- In Kavrepalanchowk, we provided 38 households with 30 bundles of tin roofs•
- In Sindupalanchowk, we provided 74 households with 70 bundles of tin roofs
- In Dolakha, (epicenter of May 12 earthquake) we provided 42 households with 31 bundles of tin roofs
- In Ramechhap, we provided 30 households with 30 bundles of tin roofs. We also provided 15 bundles to Thosey Health Post. Based on a meeting we had with the Sacheev (Secretary of Thosey), relief committee team, government official heads, social workers and political party representatives the remaining 25 bundles of tin roofs were distributed among 9 schools via the Thosey Village Development Committee (VDC).
Additionally, 66 nail pullers were distributed in Kavrepalanchowk, Sindapalanchowk, Dolokha and Ramechhap districts and clothes were distributed in Magitar in Ramachhap.
Many of our staff come from these districts and have damaged and or lost their homes. EWN has been able to assist 13 staff with cash Nrs. 15,000 (approximately US$150) for the purchase of tin roofs for temporary shelter for their families.
We have also received a financial donation from the Indian Women’s Club from the Indian Embassy in Kathmandu. With this donation, EWN was able to provide 15 earthquake damage government schools in the Kaski district with essential teaching material and sports equipment.
With the remaining funds we will continue to support local government schools in the Kaski district and/or nearby earthquake affected districts by providing them with materials and volunteer EWN staff labor in meeting their continuing needs by providing a more substantial temporary learning shelters to help the schools remain open during the monsoon. And providing essential school supplies and offer Leadership Camps so that education can continue and help children heal from the fears and anxieties caused by the earthquakes.
Future Projects After Monsoon (October onwards)
- Based on our field assessment, we have learned that many teachers and communities in the rural areas of Nepal lack a basic understanding of earthquakes. We would like to partner with any individual and or organization who are able to offer services to inform local communities and schools about earthquakes to dispel many of the myths and superstitions that the recent quakes have created.
- We are planning to provide basic construction and masonry skills and knowledge to local masons and any interested youth to ensure that future construction in Nepal is in line with building safer more sturdy homes and schools.
- For two years now we have been successfully running Girls Leadership Program in government schools and have recently piloted a boys camp. Further to the earthquake, we feel that this program could be developed and used in schools to assist in the healing of young people from the stress and trauma that they have endured in recent months. We are seeking to develop these programs and to train young community leaders to carry this forward.
We are still accepting donations to carry our current and future activities. Below is the EWN bank transfer detail.
Empowering Women of Nepal (EWN)
A/C # 01 0312363 01
Standard Chartered Bank Nepal Limited
Swift Code # SCBLNPKA
Western Union is an option. Please direct donations to:
Archana Karki Chhetri
Empowering Women of Nepal (EWN)
Nepal Earthquake Relief Fund
Ph no. +977 61 462912
For friends in Europe please direct donations to
STF Friends of EWN
Zeist, the Netherlands
We thank you all for your ongoing support!
Archana Karki Chhetri
Earthquake Relief Coordinator for EWN/3 Sisters Adventure Trekking
Empowering Women Of Nepal (EWN)
Nepal Earthquake Relief Fund 2015
|1||Ashok Karki Chhetri (3Sisters Family)||Nepali||Cash||50,000.00|
|2||3Sisters Adventure Trekking||Nepali||Cash||50,000.00|
|6||Barbara Lou Fenby||IT00191505120089||20,430.00|
|7||Batoul Khalife (Qatari Rial 5000)||Qatar||MTCN:132-577-4827||139,165.00|
|8||Beverley Rousset ($ 300)||Switzerland||IT00191505110098||30,690.00|
|9||Camaran Pipes ($ 200)||USA||1248017204||20,116.00|
|10||Caroline Depalatis ($100)||USA||5113793819||10,011.00|
|11||Catherine O Connor||Ireland||O469765333||70,106.00|
|12||Catriona Russell (£100)||UK||4229254176||15,525.00|
|13||Catriona Russell (£200)||UK||8126864478||31,155.00|
|14||Christine Readman’s friends collection (£1000)||UK||77528890357||152,213.00|
|15||Christine Readman’s friends collection||UK||Cash||265,000.00|
|16||Consuelo and Sal Street ($200)||USA||MTC:894-539-3888||20,207.00|
|17||Coris MC Ginn ($280)||USA||MTCN:0112378851||27,939.00|
|18||Didi Project ($600)||USA||5393501960||60,600.00|
|19||Dominique Louise Kerleaux Wintenberger||Spain||5131243101||10,005.00|
|20||Dorothy Keeney ($500)||USA||MTCN:822-270-1490||50,439.00|
|21||Dorothy Keeney ($900)||USA||7850143202||90,773.00|
|22||Elinor Smith($229)Trek Refund||Australia||1649||22,442.00|
|23||Evalds Rimbenieks ($730)||USA||798209704||73,359.00|
|24||Farina Karki Chhetri(Aus $ 200)(3Sisters Family)||Nepalis||MTCN:825-858-7069||15,269.00|
|25||Gary Fleener ($850) and friends ($150)||USA and Peru||IT00191505270078||102,200.00|
|26||Helga Steinmainer (Euro 200)||Germany||2905227741||21,935.00|
|27||Indian Women’s Club(Indian Embassy Ktm)||Cheque||261,600.00|
|29||Jessica Morse($ 100)||USA||MTCN:692-286-4566||10,097.00|
|30||Keran Faye Dully (NZD 500)||New Zealand||6914108922||34,869.00|
|31||Kristin Messer ($100)||USA||1564677980||10,139.00|
|32||Laura Lierk ($200)||USA||7250854157||20,203.00|
|33||Lee And Jessica Parke (Aus $500)||Australian||MTCN:837-163-8634||40,052.00|
|34||Magaret Bulter (£ 100)||UK||8702992368||15,132.00|
|35||Manu Hirachan (CAFÉ 17)||Nepali||Cash||5,000.00|
|36||Maria Fernanda Carria($)||Equador||MTCN:8233636418||69,612.00|
|37||Mariella Pala (Euro 500)||Italy||MTCN:611-685-1287||56,312.00|
|38||Meera Fernandes (Aus $625)||Australian||8354035729||51,350.00|
|39||Merleen And Berrie Peters||Australian||7308441905||278,779.00|
|41||Mohammad Hassan Nawaz and Aminur Rahman||USA and Bangladesh||Cash||10,000.00|
|49||Renai Christine McKinney ($1200)||Australia||2265197830||94,089.00|
|50||Renuka Turrel l(Euro 170) Frances Stower||UK||MTCN:5894750290||18,848.00|
|51||Sangay Lhamo Dukpa & Party(Darjeeling)||Indian||Receipt No.377||6,500.00|
|52||STG Triodos Bank(Euro 7500)||Netherland||Bank||836,655.00|
|53||STG Triodos Foundation (Euro 12,500)||Netherland||IT00191505120089||1,422,250.00|
|55||Tomomi Tsukahara (Yen 10000)||Japan||MTCN:7202173225||8,243.00|
|56||Wendy Nyquist($ 350)||USA||MTCN:553-333-0206||35,315.00|
|58||Imagine Peace Korea||Korea||Cash||80,000.00|
|2||Julie Rhodes Sanderude||USA|
Total aid and supplies:
|Aid and Supplies:|
|Dhading 1st Trip:(May 7, 2015)||106,873.00|
|Gorkha Karma Flight:(May 11,2015)||14,400.00|
|Dhading 2nd Trip(May 12,2015)||16,820.00|
|Gorkha(May 14, 2015)||28,905.00|
|Dhading Trip 3(May 20, 2015)||609,833.00|
|3Sisters Staff Relief Support (Rs15000x13)||195,000.00|
|Kaski Earthquake Damage School Support Project(Salyan School)||28,040.00|
|Kaski School Relief Fund( Educational, Game & Sports MateriMaterial)(Indian Embassy)||268,044.00|
|EWN Banner for Earthquake Relief||450|
|Kaski Shanti and staff||10968|
|Total Aid and Supplies||3,392,777.00|
|In-Kind Donation from EWN/3Sisters Adventures(Clothing)||40,000.00|